Help!!! On Tiger Barbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help!!! On Tiger Barbs

Post  Robbo on Sun 01 Nov 2009, 5:04 pm

Just bought a shoal of 5 small tiger barbs knowing that they are notoious for moping tail fins, but had read up that gouramis would be
ok with them.

I'm now noticing that the tails of 2 of my golden gouramis have small pices of their tail fins missing.

I'm tempted to get rid of the barbs as a result but would welcome any advice people can offer in this regard.

I have a 124 litre tank but am looking to upgrade soon to a 240. Would this reduce the chances of nipping or is it inevitable given the nature of the breed?

Help please???
Robbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help!!! On Tiger Barbs

Post  maxi on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:48 am

Tiger barbs are one of my favourite fish, but sadly, nippy !! I always kept them as a species tank, or with just corys. Sometimes, the bigger the shoal of them, the better, as the aggression often then stays within the group. I don't know who told you gouramis would be ok, but as they are fairly slow moving sedate fish, they are a prime target for the fast moving barbs. I would put some melafix into the tank, as that will help repair the fins on the gourami ( take any carbon out first ), it may settle, but if not, you will have to separate them I think. I'm not sure a bigger tank would really solve the problem. Tigers barbs are best kept with other fast moving fish.

maxi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gavin on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 2:41 pm

pretty much as Robbo said, trest the Gourami for the fin damage and try and seperate them, Putting them into a larger tank will not solve this problem. The Gourami are just to dosile to get out the way quick enough!

gavin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbo on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm

Thanks to you both for the advice
Robbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Griff on Sun 08 Nov 2009, 4:47 pm

Hi guys. I’d agree, add some Melafix or an Anti-Fungus and Fin Rot treatment and that should catch any potential fungal problems on the tail of the Gourami before it occurs. Bear in mind, depending on the treatment you are using, a half dose may be a better idea if you have loaches or light scaled fish, also if you have Mormyrids (elephant nose fish etc) as a good dose of many treatments will wipe them out... A Larger tank would perhaps make it harder for the shoal of Tioger Barbs to ‘close down’ on the Gouramis and it would have to be quite a large tank but inevitably they will get a nip or two in in the end! Suppose my first question would be what else do you have in your tank as it may well not be the Tiger Barbs (do you have puffer fish or serpae or blind cave tetras)?!........ Agree with you Maxi, the larger the group of Tiger Barbs, the more likely they are too keep the aggression within the shoal as they have a larger job of constantly sorting out the internally shifting huarache within the shoal and are more likely to dish aggression out on the closest fish, so another Tiger Barb (whereas a lone Tiger Barb would only have other tank mates to shows its natural aggression towards). So adding another few Tiger Barbs may help towards keeping them off the Gouramis....

Griff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbo on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 7:40 pm

Thanx for the replies.

Other fish in the tank are 2 firemouths and 6 serphe tetras. I'm pretty sure it's the tigers doing the nipping as I've seen them do it and not noticed any others. I've now got a 230 litre tank and have noticed the gold gouramis keeping to one side so this may help in short term.

Not sure whether to risk getting a couple more to bring the shoal to 7 and hopefully keep the agression in house so to speak, or whether I should give them away if the aggression gets worse.

Would it be safe to add a shoal of neon tetras too?
Robbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maxi on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 8:35 pm

You have a knack of choosing nippy fish !! serpae tetra are known for being very nippy as well !! Very Happy

Thats a nice big tank, and if it was mine, I would think about the long term stocking plan, ie, are you wanting lots of smaller fish, or a few more 'showy' fish? the firemouths will grow to a decent size I think, and may well see the small neons as a moving feast !! is your tank well planted, as that will help if the gouramis can feel secure, as well as having somewhere to hide. I think its a case of deciding whether you want a bit of a 'badboy' tank, or something more peaceful !! if you go for the more aggressive ones, then I would add more tigers, but perhaps rehome the gouramis. its a hard decision, I;ve had to rehome a good few in the past from impulse buying , its very easy to do !! Very Happy

maxi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Griff on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 10:58 pm

Could well be the Serpae Tetras but if you’ve seen the Tiger Barbs doing it then you are better focusing your attention on them for the time being.... great stuff, maybe they are learning to keep clear of the Tiger Barbs the hard way!! When did you last add fish to the tank ? I’ll offer you a credit for them if it helps you out if you do decide to get rid of them. If the neons are small or the Firemouths are large, the neons could fall prey to the Firemouths....

Griff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Griff on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 11:02 pm

Sorry Maxi, didnt see your post before adding mine, pretty much covered what I had to say ha ha ! Cheers, Griff

Griff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbo on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 9:42 pm

I don't really want a badboy tank just a peaceful tank with lots of colour.

I do need to add more live plants to the tank that's for sure, will do that when I get paid. Not noticed the serphe tetras nipping actually, they tend to hide under the rocks and stick together, it's the barbs being the hooligans....

Will give the neons a miss which is a shame as they add colour.

Any ideas on other types of colourfully fish I could consider that will co habit with the firemouths and gouramis?

Might take you up on your offer Grif, if the barbs don't behave!!

Thanks for the advice so far Maxi & Grif, it's a help for a novice and I do need to avoid impulse buys......
Robbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Griff on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 10:36 pm

Hi Nick.

If you need to heavily stock the tank with plants I can get you a box of assorted plants, or individual strains, can get over 100 varieties v cheap and excellent quality so just let me know. I’ll send you on a fish list this week pal. No problem, here for advice anytime!

Griff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top